Thursday, August 4, 2011

Homecoming: a true story

We got home today, from visiting family.  To get back to Korea, I went on a 1 hour flight, a 12 hour flight and a two hour flight.  With six jet lagged kids, and only two jet lagged adults, you must imagine that this is very hard.  Our first plane was delayed, so when we got to Chicago, we had to run to catch our next flight.  We had to go through customs, constantly make sure that we still had eight people, and find our gate.  We made it in enough time to get some lunch at McDonald's
.
After we got off our last plane, we had to find our car.  One of my dads friends brought it to the air port so that we didn't have to take the subway.  It took us half an hour of lugging around all of our luggage (13 check bags, 16 carry ons) before we found our car.  We then loaded it and drove off.

We arrived at our apartment building and began unloading the car.  I shuffled upstairs behind my dad and walked right on inside.  The first place i went was my room.  I opened the door, and closed it behind me.  I shoved off the bags i had and fell onto the floor, just breathing, and hearing, and seeing.  I saw the blue-ish gray of my carpet, i heard the siren of a far off police car, i felt the rough fibers beneath my fingers.  I was so happy to finally be home, that it was all done, the vacation.  And so i lay, just breathing, and hearing, and seeing.

1 comment: